Monday, February 1, 2010

Cube in the Desert (revised)

Arid and empty. And the sand was shifting and drifting. There were no footprints-just heatwaves. On our faces and our chests. It never ended and our eyes cried. The sand stung and sung and yelled. And so we walked. No footprints but we walked. To our left the sun, to our right the cube. Mean cube. Doom cube. Walk towards the cube we did. I'm not sure if we wanted to, but we did. And as we walked towards it, we held our ladder above our heads. Proudly and sternly. It was long- 6 feet. And broken. We placed the ladder on the cube and said a prayer and climbed. Once we climbed, we were inside. But so was the horse. Our horse. Silky and tight. Not mean, but not frightened. Beautiful, really, and I know he is. But I didn't want to go near him, you know. I didn't want to feel him. He hid us from the sun. But I'm not sure I wanted that.